Friday, October 10, 2014

Feuds by Avery Hastings

Although I liked this story, it felt...glossed over, to me.  I got a sense of both Davis and Cole, but was not given a deep look at either.  Just when I felt like I was getting somewhere with one of them, another direction was followed.

Maybe I'm just projecting my feelings about falling in love under duress and in a very short amount of time, but I don't think there was really enough interaction between Davis and Cole for them to really love each other.  Attached, yes.  Deeply crushing on each other, yes.  Love?  I'm not convinced. 

 I also think the title doesn't really go with anything. The FEUDS were discussed a few times, and Davis even sees part of one of the fights, but I don't think they were important enough, plot-wise, to gain the title. 

Overall, though, I did like this story.  Both protagonists are easy to like.  Readers will find themselves attached to Davis and Cole, even though minor objections or questions.  (I certainly was.)  With a little more detail and polish, this could be a riveting YA romantic tragedy.  Perhaps that's what we'll get in the sequel.  I, for one, will definitely be reading it. 

Feuds by Avery Hastings: 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment