Tuesday, November 4, 2014

H2O by Virginia Bergin

The driving force behind H2O is rain that carries a vicious, transferrable virus that devastates the entire world at the same time is a brilliant concept.  Sadly, Ruby, the narrator, makes this book almost impossible to read.  She's incredibly self-centered, shallow, and even though she knows first-hand the perils of the virus-ridden rainfall, she can't seem to think about anything other than getting her cell phone (which no longer works, anyway). 

I know some of you are thinking that it's narrated by a teenager so what did I expect?  Well, I expected her to be a little less concerned with her gadgets and a little more concerned with the fact that, although they don't get along well all the time, her stepfather is the only person left in her world who truly cares about her.

 Her distracted, stream-of-consciousness recap of events is so wildly documented that I often forgot the point of the story while she was on one of her many tangents.
I couldn't finish this book.  Ruby's voice made me want to beat my head against a wall. 

H2O by Virginia Bergin: 1 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment