Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Dear Killer by Katherine Ewell

Ever wanted to be inside the head of London's most notorious serial killer?  Dear Killer provides readers insight to the mind of Kit, seventeen-year-old hired killer who never backs down after she decides to take a life. 

I found myself thinking oddly during this book.  Mainly because Kit makes everything seem so rational, following her rules to the letter.  I'd find myself thinking, yeah, that makes sense. Then I'd remember she was talking about killing someone without leaving evidence, flawlessly evading capture.

Kit's a very introspective person, frequently wondering about herself and how others would feel or react in different situations.  This does present a problem for the reader, giving the impression that Kit is too self-centered and unfocused to represent a true serial killer.  It can be overlooked, though, as it can be construed as the self-examination of a girl who can't share her thoughts with anyone else at the risk of her own exposure. 

I did have an issue with the ending, but after thinking about it for a while, I feel it was the right way to go.  I can't say any more than that without sharing too much. 

My main problem was the authenticity.  The writing is good, but it doesn't have a British feel.  Yes, it's set in London and Kit mentions some famous landmarks and streets.  But she refers to her mother as "Mom," not "Mum." Her speech patterns also don't match those of other authors who successfully capture all things British.  I was able to push past that, though, and enjoy the story.

I also had trouble with the relationship between Alex and Kit.  For a police officer, he's entirely too trusting of her randomly turning up at crime scenes and offering her input.  Unless someone is a forensic genius, why would a cop listen to the opinion of a teenager wandering through almost every area in which there is a dead body?  Also, why is this same cop meeting said teenager regularly for coffee and lunch when they have had no previous benign relationship?  I'm not sure this could have looked more sketchy under any circumstance. 

After wavering back and forth several times and reading a few things between Dear Killer and writing this review, I have to admit that I liked it.  It was intriguing, it provided a lot to think about, and Kit is a strong character.  I could have been much better with more authenticity, some consistency, and some more revision. 

3 of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment