Saturday, July 5, 2014

Billy and Me by Giovanna Fletcher

By the end of Billy and Me, I was underwhelmed. Sophie May's secret wasn't really a secret. The relationship between Sophie and Billy seemed to have not progressed at all from when they first met and barely knew each other. Sophie became a character I didn't even like. (How does one relate to a character who seems to do nothing with her life other than be someone's girlfriend?) And what was supposed to be a happy ending felt saccharine and overly sentimental.

The writing is technically correct- too correct, actually. Everything was so formal it felt almost like reading a recitation of facts rather than being told a story by a friend. The use of ellipses drove me absolutely crazy. There was, at a minimum, one per page. Exclamations points were used in even the most mundane of sentences, making me feel as if I were talking to someone who'd indulged in way to many espressos before telling me this (mostly) dull story of a regular girl's love for a famous man. 

It's unlikely that I'll read this again.  I'll give Fletcher's next book a chance, but I don't hold high hopes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment