Friday, April 18, 2014

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E Pearson

Kiss of Deception is a story of fierce determination and fighting for a dream.  Lia, Kaden, and Rafe make intriguing protagonists with revolving points of view who give readers insight to everyone's thoughts, goals, and motivations. 

These three main characters are strong, and the alternation viewpoints illustrate how each one evolves and drives the plot ever forward.  This was an instance when I was sure a sequel was coming and I didn't have any reservations about wanting to read it.  I was mildly confused about the sudden inclusion of Pauline's first person narrative because it only lasted for one chapter, but it had relevance to the plot and I think it will have an effect on the way the story progresses in the next book. The rest of the characters are also strong, no matter how small their roles.  Whether you hate the Chancellor and the Scholar or love Lia's brother's, each person is memorable.  

I will have to say that it drove me absolutely bloody crazy that, even though I knew one guy was the prince from whom Lia was running and one was the assassin sent to kill her in her sleep, I had no idea which one was which until about a third of the way through the story.  I had a good guess as to the identity of each, but I would question myself occasionally.  I will also have to admit that I liked that I didn't know for sure, that Pearson kept me guessing for a while.

I would have also liked to know a little more about Lia's gift.  She's certain she doesn't have one at all because it's never made itself known to her before she's seventeen. Other women in the story have the gift, too, though, and there's not a lot they have to say about it either.  I found this a little frustrating, to be honest, but as the mysteries unraveled, I felt more confident that more information would be provided.  Maybe it wasn't in this book, but I'm okay with waiting for it. 

The Kiss of Deception is definitely one I would purchase and I'm really looking forward to reading the next installment of Lia's story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment