Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Rival (Unholy Alliance volume 1.2) by Lacy Yager

This short story that fits into a YA vampire series was a good one.  It will be critiqued by many because it's not the same as all other YA vampire stories.  There is little cursing, and it's incredibly mild.  While it's full of vampire-fighting action, it doesn't have the same dark edge

I see these as good things.  For those kids whose parents object to these kinds of stories, this is a cleaner, less nightmare-inducing story.  I believe (and I could be wrong here) that some of the author's other books are of the Christian bent, which makes her a good person to provide a vampire story as a way to give teens what they want, and parents what they want. 

The alternate narration is nice, giving the reader insight to the characters as the story progresses.  Emily and Brett face issues that a lot of teens have to deal with: the loss of a parent; juvenile arthritis; whether or not to rebel against a parent's wishes in order to do what they were born to do.

I didn't know when I started this that it was an in-between volume of a series.  I liked it enough that I'll read all the others.  I might even check out some of Lacy Yager's other works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment