Sunday, January 5, 2014

Defy by Sara B. Larson

I was disappointed with this book.  It had all the makings of the next Graceling, but there was too much focus on which man being the one who actually held Alexa's affection.  Sorcery is a key element in this tale, yet it's mentioned in only the most cursory ways.  No actual plan is outlined past rebelling against the king and staging a coup to put the better man on the throne. 

The writing is stilted and awkward in many places, making character interactions seem to defy logic to the reader.  Even when Alex and Rylan or Alex and Damian are getting along, I would find myself wondering why they were even bothering.  If everything is that uncomfortable, why force the characters together? 

Which brings me to manner of speech.  Although a scene is set for the reader of this being an imaginary world, before electricity and all modern conveniences, the characters have a habit of using more modern phrases when speaking.  This made it harder for me to fully imagine the surroundings and the people.  I'd have a massive stone fortress in my mind, characters looking as if they belonged in Renaissance England, and then it would all shatter when someone said something way too current to fit the picture. 

I wasn't in love with this story or the characters.  I might read the next one- if there is one- but I don't think it'll keep me up at night wondering when I'll get the chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment