Saturday, October 12, 2013

Aberrant by Ruth Silver

Told in chillingly realistic detail, this is Children of Men for the YA set. 

Olivia moved me as a narrator.  She knows what she wants, and she knows what society is demanding of her.  Rather than buck the system and cause an uproar, she does what would scare me most- she dives into the unknown of marriage to someone whom the government has chosen for her. 
Her life is sent further into upheaval on her wedding day, and when she is forced to leave her home and what little family she has left for good, she forges ahead, even though she has no idea what will come next for her.  Alone and making her own decisions for the first time in her eighteen years, Olivia must figure out the right way to live her life , finally realizing that everything she has been taught has been greatly modified to favor those in charge.

Olivia changes immensely through the course of this story.  From blindly accepting to forcefully demanding answers, she took me on an emotional journey.  One in which I had to stop and think about what I would do if I found myself in the same situation. 

Caught between those who would kill her for her unique quality and those who would exploit it for their own gains, Olivia has only begun her fight for her own life- and the future of mankind.  Aberrant is the thought-provoking, danger-filled beginning to what I expect to be a fantastic series. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like blogging introduced to get or about some thing I believe throughout. I additionally read reports blogs often and locate that this makes me feel far more intelligent every time I read them.

    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete