Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Scintillate by Tracy Clark

The description of this book, to me, sounded like an Anne Bishop-style YA fantasy involving a girl who can see auras, and has a remarkable one herself.  Unfortunately, the story doesn't hold up, the characters are weak, and the dialogue is so sugary-sweet that I felt a little nauseated.

What drove me absolutely crazy, though, was the occasional phonetic spelling of Finn's accent- most of which were instances of strong cursing.  If some was going to be included that way, all of it should have been.

 I felt a little cheated after reading the entire story. There's not enough explanation of this special power, or the history behind it, for the length of this book. I don't think it needed to be strung out into a trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment