Friday, November 15, 2013

The Hanging Judge by Michael Ponsor

This is an intense story from the first page.  There is everything in this book: murder, suspense, romance, and a deep look into the United States justice system.  I do have a couple of issues with the story, however. 

The inclusion of the story of the unfair trial and execution of two men in 1806 interrupts the flow, overall.  It was interesting, especially the quotes from surviving documentation, but I think it would have worked better for me if it were left until the conclusion of the book.

At times, this was also a pretty deep story through which to wade.  I read the author's note at the beginning and I understand he's a judge, but there was a lot of detail.  It made it a little more difficult for me to get through the book at times. 

Those things aside, this is an excellent book.  The writing is good, the dialogue is realistic, the characters are developed well.  There were plot changes I didn't expect, the narrators couldn't always be trusted to tell the reader what was really going on, and it was steeped in a cloud of uncertainty that had me wondering what would happen until the very last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment